Sunday, December 7, 2014

You Cannot Be A Finalist For Grammy™ Educator Of The Year Without Having Had Your Own Amazing Teachers

I am not going to pretend that this list is comprehensive, but the events of Friday, for which I am truly honored and humbled, make me feel more than just a little bit compelled to share this list of my own teachers who impacted me and my practice.  Each one deserves a detailed recounting of their specific influence on me (I will try to add that over time) and I know I will leave off many who deserve to be here. Please forgive me, and I will update this as time goes on to remedy that.


Sycamore Schools (Cincinnati, OH):
Mr. Metzger
Mr. Beeler
Mr. Wagner
Mr. Ronfeldt

Bradley University:
Dr. Heinemann
Dr. Vroman
Dr. Kaizer
Prof. Kaizer
Dr. Sanders
Dr. Jost
Prof. Slotter

Youngstown State University:
Dr. Gage
Dr. Rollin
Dr. Largent

The University Of Arizona:
Prof.  Hanson
Dr. Billups
Dr. Fergison


My sincere apologies for any errors in spelling or omissions.  There are others too who should be on the list.  Like Mr. Fricke - my first private drum teacher.  Or my very first piano teacher who sadly I cannot remember her name but recall vividly my Mom telling me how this teacher, when I was just maybe 6, was so impressed not that I had written a "song" but that I had actually played the notes exactly as I had put them down on the manuscript paper.  Or my elementary school general music teacher, whose name I also, regrettably cannot recall, but still carry with me the true Joy of music that she very much instilled in me at so young an age.   And I cannot forget about Dr. Anne Marie Woolsey, Arcadia's then principal, and Dr. Mitch Simmons, SUSD's director CTE, without either of their support for my original concept for CMAS it would all still just be an idea in my head.  And there are others.  So many others.  So very many musicians and colleagues and students and friends and family from who I have learned so much and who have influenced all I do.

My point is exactly as the title of this post implies.  Nothing happens in a vacuum.  No matter the result of the Grammy™ selection, from the bottom of my heart, thank you all!




No comments:

Post a Comment