Thursday, August 8, 2013

What If All Eighty Eight Songs I've Written Recently Are Actually Just One?

One a week.  Every week.  Without fail.  That's been my songwriting experiment since January 1 of 2012.  (Song #88 "Not Enough" just needs the middle 8 completed...) I've written about it a bit in some earlier posts, and it has been a really great experience for me.  Some of the songs I'm quite happy with, others have elements that work better than others and may need some more time to reach their full potential, but all of them have given me some insight into my creative process, and that means all of them are quite valuable to me.

The process itself has gotten easier each week too.  Somewhere along the way - I could not say exactly when, but for at least the last few months - possibly longer - I find I can tap far more easily into a flow of viable ideas.  It's been quite freeing for me in many ways.

In truth I have not recorded any of them - though I have been - in an attempt to be more open with myself - been posting the lyrics for the last many weeks.  And I am working towards a live performance rig that should allow me to merge the writing process with the recording and performing process into a more musically fulfilling overall creative process, but as it's just not quite there yet, I do not feel rushing will serve any real purpose.  In fact I believe it would actually move me backward in the long run, so for now patience (and diligence?) is the rule....

In any case, one of the things that became clear over time was that as I found myself writing songs that were mostly making use of simpler chord progressions and more direct musical lines, I began to see that the songs might all be connected somehow.

I cannot quite place it yet, and I'm not even sure it really matters in the bigger picture, but I feel like there is a sense of continuity across them all.  Maybe it's just something I am projecting into the songs, but there really does seem to be a line.

I would not be the first person to work within this premise.  Not even close.  But regardless, the notion of a single, continuous musical line has a very strong appeal to me.  There is something about the notion of another level of musical connection that I want to keep exploring....

No comments:

Post a Comment