Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Listen Deeper: Digging A Bit More Into The Creative Process

This is another of the "Maxwellisms" that are part of the CMAS experience, though once again I cannot really take credit for it.  This one is from David Maslanka, a musician I have long admired and was able to work with just a tiny bit a number of years ago. (see earlier posts...)

Recently I was able to reconnect a bit with him and within a conversation regarding how technology applies to music, he told me how he always does his best not to force his students, but rather to"listen as deeply as I can" to help them move their creative process forward.

I am, of course, paraphrasing his words, but the key here is that his words really stuck with me.  David Maslanka is one of those people who you can tell right away has such a great perspective on so many things.  I used to find that intimidating, and something that I felt I had to somehow prove I had as well.  That never works out by the way, but that was my mindset.  In any case...

"Listen deeper" in a lot of ways relates to "nothing forced endures" which I talked about recently as well.  In my case, "Listen deeper" currently is about not getting too caught up in the educational world of music and focusing more on the pure creative element.

If a student presents me with something they have created and it does not work for me, one approach is to essentially say, "you need more training, more advanced skills, more practice, etc."  And that may well be true but it misses the bigger creative point, which is, "what is the student trying to say with their creative efforts?"

Maybe they do need more training and skills, and practice; but maybe not.  Maybe they just need to reframe the sound to better fit their end goal.  So focus on articulating the end goal.  The process of getting there.  Not forcing a particular path to a particular end, that is not derived from the student's pure intent.   Easier said than done, I'm afraid, which is why I don't see it as often as I'd like, even within myself; but that does not in any way diminish its truth or importance.

In my quest to establish CMAS as a legitimate music education tract, I find that I on occasion (more frequently than I might like to admit) I am essentially way too judgmental. This is not intentional, and it is something that I honestly am ashamed to have to admit to, but none the less, there it is.

Self-depricating comments aside, the even more important point is this notion of "it doesn't work for me."  That really says far more about me than the quality of the work.  Who am I to judge?  Seriously.  The arrogance of the very assumption is enough to make me ill.  And don't fall into the trap of thinking that the very role of a teacher is to do just that: evaluate and assign value. It is not.  Certainly not for me.

My job is not to teach creativity.  That is not possible.   My job is to foster creativity.  There is a huge difference and it's an important one, and even if I could teach it, I wouldn't.  Then it would only be my creativity, not my students, and that is not doing justice to them or the creative process in general. Besides, the absurdity of me being an expert in all the styles my students work with every day...you must be kidding.  I go with my gut, sure.  I am honest - some might say to a fault; but you can keep your "expert" label.  I am just hoping I can be musical for them.

And so for me I have no option but to listen deeper.  Actually, it is a choice.  One I am truly happy to have made.

No comments:

Post a Comment