Sunday, March 7, 2010

Harmony

I must confirm a certain amount of embarrassment regarding the fact that last night was the first time in a while I had attended a professional symphony concert.  Michele and I, through the generosity of the "Mom's Club" she is part of, were in the audience for a spectacular evening of music, made possible by the Phoenix Symphony.  It was really an enjoyable evening on many levels, and as we sat in the hall taking in the music I was struck by just how much I still enjoy being inside that kind of sound - even if only passively as an audience member.

It had been a while since I had felt the kind of pure acoustic musical connection that an ensemble of that nature creates.  It was very enlightening for me.  The realities of life are such that my schedule simply doesn't permit as much of that kind of thing as it used to, and I am glad that I will be a guest clinician for some of the upcoming All-State music festivals, which will, if only temporarily, place me back in front of symphonic ensembles.

These days it seems like every musical experience I have informs either my teaching or my writing or both.  In this case, in terms of teaching, it makes me feel I should be doing more to emphasize the notion that all music is viable with my students.  I do this a lot with the more advanced classes already, but I'm thinking I need to implement more of this kind of thought with the lower levels as well.  In terms of writing, it's made me glad I am following my instincts on a lot of my newer material to use larger, more orchestrated parts - even if in a "rock" context.

Whatever it turns into,  one thing is for certain, there is something to be said for purity of sound, and last night was a great example.

No comments:

Post a Comment