Sunday, February 21, 2010

The freedom that comes from cutting ties

About a week or so ago, I stopped using a Blackberry and went back to a more, shall we say "modest" phone. The various specific reasons for the change aside, I can honestly say, I wish I had made the transition back sooner.

Certainly there are some obvious economic advantages, but those seem rather trivial on the whole, certainly when compared to the real advantage of not having the "smart" phone (I am beginning to seriously question the use of that term in this context). For all the months I had the Blackberry I grew increasingly tied to it. Somewhat unwittingly - Michele does correctly point out that she repeatedly tried to call my attention to this - I became rather obsessive with it. Any message from anyone had to be read and returned immediately. There is a compelling argument that my personality simply doesn't allow for moderation of usage of such things; but true or not, I am certainly glad to be rid of the thing. I'm glad I had the opportunity to make use of the Blackberry for a while, but I am so much satisfied without it.

Case in point: Friday evening Michele and I attended a concert of a band a friend of ours plays in. Great group called The Union Band (formed in '67 and still going strong) you should check them out. Anyway, it was very funny to watch some of the people there and their way of taking in the show. Glued to iPhones and Blackberries, messaging away, seemingly unable to actually enjoy the music and the people around them - unable to just be there. It was actually really sad in a way - to be all alone yet in a crowd of supposed friends - how unfulfilling that would be. Like I said, sad. Watching this, I realized just how much happier I was to be able to simply dance and hold my wife's hand, kiss her and just enjoy the night - I felt very lucky to be there with her and our friends - together, in the moment for real. I think there is a lyric for a new song emerging out of this (mybe even will make it in the new CD, who knows) Something like:

"Your PDA is your best friend,
Mine - the world sees me kiss my wife
These are very different messages we send
Mine is by far the better life"

Needs some work, but I like the concept. I guess this all kinda relates to my post about "The perfect piece of gear," and I am curious to see how this will inform my writing and producing. Life is always a journey - what a fun ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment