Sunday, November 29, 2009

A music education experience circle completed

Teach enough students for long enough and eventually you start to experience some of your own lessons. For a while now I have been "ranting" both here and in my classes about the need to always look for a new perspective whenever a musical experience starts to feel overdone.  A few days ago I found myself with that exact need and the end result proved very inspiring.

I was sitting in on drums for a friend's band - something I have been doing more of lately and have been enjoying so much that I now, somewhat secretly I suppose, am hopeful to do more of it more often.  Anyway, four hours of "classic" cover songs is usually not exactly my idea of musical euphoria these days.  Yes, I see the hypocrisy of my attitude - I should only be so lucky as to have a band, any band, cover one of my own songs, but I digress...

Anyway, in an effort to make things a bit more interesting for me, I decided to see what would happen if I played the kit for the entire night "left hand lead." (see Simon Phillips for pretty much the absolute master in this technique.)  Turned out the 4 hours flew by for me.  What a blast!

Sure a simple lesson in the end, and one that I should have known would produce results, but while in the midst of it I was really captivated.  Looks like there will be at least a breif addendum to my Monday lectures...

No comments:

Post a Comment