Saturday, October 31, 2009

A working theory

I recently had the opportunity to do some final testing on my crossfeeding headphone mixing procedures and I am happy to report that it is, so far, remarkably successful.  The basics of this last testing was pretty simple.  I produced an entire 23 track CD - about 70 minutes of music with a wide variance in style/genre - entirely using my crossfeeding methods. 

The proof of the success was equally simple.  The sample tracks of the final CD have gone over unbelievably well. The implications of this are pretty significant.  The most obvious are that I am now capable of doing high end studio work pretty much anywhere, anytime - a blissfully freeing notion.  It also means an incredibly important tool for my students.  It means that the cost of a "pure" room for mixing, for anyone, is now rooted almost entirely in the cost of a high quality set of headphones - imagine, for example, the benefit to college students studying audio production living in dorms. (FYI, Earbuds, and anything by Bose, are not going to be acceptable for any kind of quality result due to a lack of uniform frequency response and a significant tendency to color the sound, respectively.)  There is also the possibility of creating a version of the process within the RTAS, VST, and AU plug-in formats which might mean a viable monetizing opportunity.

Anyway, as this all begins to play out, it is really exciting to know that the results are being so well received.  Makes me feel like there are countless possibility opening up.

No comments:

Post a Comment